Welcome to Basin & Range Outdoors

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. ~Theodore Roosevelt

Basin & Range Outdoors was created to share the adventures experienced by two brothers in the American West. From the highest alpine terrains to the lowest sonoran deserts we will chronicle the pain and triumph that accompanies all of our outdoor pursuits.

There will be no high-fence hunts, no fly fishing lodges, no streamside caviar and wine breaks. Instead, you can expect cold nights sleeping in the dirt, flat tires on old trucks, and big dreams realized on small budgets. With Basin & Range Outdoors you will find useful reviews of hunting and fly fishing products, techniques, locations, and a general review of our outdoor expeditions on public land.




Thursday, May 13, 2010

A Few Digiscope Pics from 2009/10

Here are a few of my digiscope photos from last year. I think most people consider digiscoping the use of a spotting scope and digital camera, but when I pack into remote areas to scout I don’t want the extra weight
of a spotting scope in my pack. Instead, I make due with the following items:

Swarovski 15x56 SLC

Swarovski Snap Shot Camera Adapter
Canon SD960IS Digital Camera
Using all three items can produce pretty good results in the field.    There are a lot of moving parts between all of the pieces and when you throw in the unpredictability of the animal it can be difficult to get the shot you want.  I'm not typically looking for award winning shots for National Geographic magazine.  If I can get a photo that well represents the size characteristics of the animal I consider it a successful photo.
 
(One item I didn't mention was a tripod. This setup only works if your binoculars are set steady on a tripod)

Digiscope photos from 2090/10: