Welcome to Basin & Range Outdoors

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. ~Theodore Roosevelt

Basin & Range Outdoors was created to share the adventures experienced by two brothers in the American West. From the highest alpine terrains to the lowest sonoran deserts we will chronicle the pain and triumph that accompanies all of our outdoor pursuits.

There will be no high-fence hunts, no fly fishing lodges, no streamside caviar and wine breaks. Instead, you can expect cold nights sleeping in the dirt, flat tires on old trucks, and big dreams realized on small budgets. With Basin & Range Outdoors you will find useful reviews of hunting and fly fishing products, techniques, locations, and a general review of our outdoor expeditions on public land.




Thursday, September 23, 2010

Scouting Elk in the Foothills of the Blues

Elk Moving Up Hill

(by Tate Bare)
I had a free weekend last week, so I picked up an archery spike tag and headed down to the Blue Mountains to explore the area. Shooting a spike elk was my secondary mission. I was excited to get down to the unit and see what kind of elk and whitetail the area had to offer.
I spent three days and four rainy nights sleeping in the back of my truck, but was lucky enough to glass up
some nice bulls. The country in the southeast part of Washington State is unbelievably scenic and covers
awesome habitat for Elk, Mule Deer, Whitetail, and Bear.

On a side note; It was interesting to pick apart the the Blue Mountain foothills with my binoculars imagining what it was like for the Shaphaptan Indians to make a living in the area for thousands of years. The Nez Perce and Chief Joseph roamed the same hills… probably chased the same game. In the case that I am lucky enough to take one of the remarkable bulls below, I will pay some respect to the lands original inhabitants.
Glassed up these good bulls:



And to top off the trip, I broke my front tooth in half eating a granola bar...  This just reaffirms my distain for granola bars, granola hippies, health food stores, and Subarus.  If I would have been snacking on rare prime rib this never would have happened!!